Seeing mold appear around your home? Maybe the soil is wet and muddy, and you’ve noticed cracks along your foundation. You can control these issues and other problem signs with our waterproofing solutions. Basement Authority of West Virginia is here to serve homeowners in Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Wheeling, and surrounding areas.
How Foundation Waterproofing Works
- First, our team will inspect your home and identify the source of moisture. In most cases, water damage comes from precipitation or moisture below the soil. Both of these can cause damage to your foundation’s walls and allow water to infiltrate your home.
- Next, our team will decide which waterproofing solutions work best for your home and specific situation. Mold and musty odors can be stopped with a dehumidifier and vapor barrier, while cracked walls or leaking pipes are best dealt with through sump pumps and floor drains. Usually, a combination of these solutions will be suggested.
- Finally, our team installs these solutions with care and attention. Many of our solutions come with warranties and can work with already existing systems in your home such as air vents or water pipes. Once installed, your home is guaranteed permanent protection against moisture.
What Makes Our Foundation Waterproofing Stand Out?
- All solutions can be financed to fit your needs and come with long-term, transferable warranties so you know your investment is protected.
- Our various waterproofing tools can be used for nearly any situation, including floods, problematic soil, or internal leaks.
- Many of our solutions are energy efficient, so you end up saving money in the long run as your energy bills don’t break the bank.
Signs Your Home Needs Foundation Waterproofing
Basement cracks occur when water pressure builds up below the ground, usually after heavy precipitation or if your home is located near a water source. Waterproofing is necessary if you see this problem sign, because wall cracks allow subsurface water to leak into your basement. Using a vapor barrier and wall repair can prevent this problem from occurring in the first place, and floor drains provide even more protection against cracked walls.
Mold is a prime indicator that moisture is damaging your foundation. After all, mold can only grow in humid environments, which is directly caused by a water source. Often, as water gets into your foundation, it evaporates and creates the perfect conditions for mold growth. Mold is dangerous to human beings as it can exacerbate allergies or cause respiratory problems. Foundation waterproofing makes it impossible for mold to grow by removing the moisture this harmful fungus requires.
Musty odors are a common problem associated with water damage. As water breaks down organic materials used during the building process (such as wood, fabric, or minerals in stone blocks) it leaves an unpleasant smell behind. Furthermore, moisture can lead to mold or pests in your foundation – both of which can leave behind nasty odors of their own. Foundation waterproofing prevents these odors from arising in the first place and makes your entire home a more pleasant place to be.
Rain, snow, and other forms of precipitation are often to blame for water damage in your foundation. Excessive precipitation also makes soil too weak to support your foundation, which may lead to further damage. Moreover, faulty gutters and downspouts located too close to your foundation can also contribute to water damage, as they spill massive amounts of water onto your foundation. Leaking appliances and damaged plumbing lines can also cause water damage to your foundation. With so many potential sources, you can see why foundation waterproofing is advised.
Yes. Many pests are attracted to damp, moist foundations – especially basements, as they provide shelter from the outdoors. Moist environments provide warmth for many species and standing water or leaking water may act as a source of hydration for some animals as well. Pests may leave behind waste, carcasses, or disease in your foundation. This can put your safety at risk and make your home smell rather unpleasant. Foundation waterproofing makes it much harder for animals to set up shop below your home.
Hydrostatic pressure refers to the growing pressure water exudes as it travels deeper below the ground. As water drains deep into the soil, gravity pushes harder onto it. In turn, the water exerts greater pressure and may displace soil around it. This is the same force that acts on you as you dive deeper into a pool. The water around you seems to push harder onto your ears. When water drains near your basement foundation, it exerts this same pressure onto the foundation walls and may causes damage or leaking below your home.
Call Us for a Free Inspection
No one wants their basement to be damaged by water, especially because of all the side effects that come with moisture damage. Don’t ignore foundation problems when you see them. Since 2003, Basement Authority of West Virginia has been helping homeowners in Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Wheeling, and surrounding areas keep their basements dry. Interested in learning more about our services? Continue exploring our website or contact us to schedule a free inspection with one of our specialists. We’ll identify the cause of your water issues and provide solutions that permanently address them!